How to Develop a New Policy
- Identifies a need for new policy and designates a Responsible Office.
- Drafts the policy utilizing the policy template which can be downloaded from the website at: http://policies.rutgers.edu/.
- Coordinates Stakeholder review.
- Refines draft and sends it to the Office of the Secretary of the University for a review of content for clarity, grammar, spelling and any formatting inconsistencies.
- Obtains endorsement from Responsible Executive followed by approval from Approval Authority and sends the final draft accompanied by supporting documentation to the Office of the Secretary of the University.
- If Approval Authority is Board of Governors (BOG) and/or Board of Trustees (BOT), works with the Office of the secretary of the University to schedule and obtain endorsement by the appropriate committee and approval by the board.
Office of the Secretary of the University:
- Provides consultation to Responsible Executive and Responsible Office at the outset and as needed during the entire development process.
- Reviews policy draft, reflecting stakeholder inputs for clarity, spelling and corrects any formatting inconsistency.
- Sends draft with comments and suggestions back to Responsible Office for obtaining endorsement from and approval respectively from Responsible Executive and Approval Authority.
- If Approval Authority is Board of Governors (BOG) and/or Board of Trustees (BOT), works with Responsible Office to schedule committee reviews as a prelude to obtaining approval of BOG/BOT.
- Updates website and communicates to the University.
- Notifies Responsible Executive and Responsible Office that the policy has been published.
- Ensures policy is maintained current by review/revision of content on a periodic and as needed basis.