How to Revise a Policy
- Identifies a need for revision and designates a Responsible Office.
- Obtains WORD version of the source document from the Office of the Secretary of the University (OoS).
- Edits the document using these conventions: should have additions marked in bold underline and deleted portions should be represented by
- Consults with OoS to decide if the changes being proposed are "Substantive" or "Non-Substantive".
- If changes are "Non-Substantive" then proceeds to obtain the Responsible Executive approval. Sends approval along with two versions of the policy, a version with strikeouts and bold underline and a version without strikeouts and bold underline to OoS for posting on the policy library website.
- If changes are "Substantive":
- Coordinates Stakeholder Review.
- Refines draft and sends it to the OoS for a review of content for clarity, grammar, spelling and any formatting inconsistencies.
- Obtains endorsement from the Responsible Executive followed by an approval from Approval Authority.
- Sends OoS approval along with two versions of policy, one with strikeouts and bold underline and a version without strikeouts and bold underline.
- If Approval Authority is Board of Governors (BOG) and/or Board of Trustees (BOT), works with the Office of the Secretary of the University to schedule and obtain endorsement by the appropriate committee and approval by the board.
Office of the Secretary of the University:
- Provides consultation to Responsible Executive and Responsible Office at the outset and as needed during the entire revision process.
- Posts policy proposals with "Non-Substantive" changes that have been approved by the Responsible Executive to policy library website.
- Reviews policy proposals with "Substantive" changes reflecting stakeholder inputs for clarity, spelling and any formatting inconsistency.
- Sends draft with comments and suggestions back to Responsible Office for obtaining endorsement and approval respectively from Responsible Executive and Approval Authority.
- If Approval Authority is Board of Governors (BOG) and/or Board of Trustees (BOT), works with Responsible Office to schedule committee reviews as a prelude to obtaining approval of BOG/BOT.
- Updates policy library website and communicates to the University.
- Notifies Responsible Executive and Responsible Office that the policy has been published.
- Ensures policy is maintained current by review/revision of content on a periodic and as needed basis.